Having, as we trust, been brought by divine grace to repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and to give up ourselves to him, and having been baptised upon our profession of faith, in the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Spirit, we do now, in the presence of God, angels and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another as one body in Christ.
- We endeavour, by the aid of the Holy Spirit to work and pray for the unity of Central Baptist Church by acting in love towards other members, by respecting and submitting to our pastors/elders who labour amongst us, by avoiding all gossiping, backbiting and excessive anger, by participating in the ordinance of the Lord’s Supper (Communion) (John 13:34–35; 1 Thessalonians 5:12–13; Hebrews 13:17; Colossians 3:8–10; 1 Corinthians 11:27–34).
- We endeavour, by the aid of the Holy Spirit to share in the responsibility of Central Baptist Church by not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, nor neglecting to pray for ourselves and others and for its ministry, by walking together in Christian love, by striving for the advancement of a faithful evangelical ministry in this churchin knowledge, holiness and comfort, by promoting its prosperity and spirituality, by sustaining its worship, ordinances, discipline and doctrines, by contributing cheerfully and regularly to the support of the ministry, the expenses of the church, the relief of the poor and the spread of the Gospel; making disciples of all nations (Hebrews 10:24–25; 2 Thessalonians 1:3; Philippians 1:3–4; 1 Timothy 5:17–18; Matthew 28:19–20).
- We endeavour, by the aid of the Holy Spirit to serve in the ministry of Central Baptist Church by a willingness to be involved in its ministry, by developing a servant’s heart, by being equipped through biblical discipleship and the ministry of my pastors/elders, bymaintaining family and secret devotions, by educating our children in the Christian faith, by seeking the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances (1 Corinthians 16:15; 1 Peter 4:10; 2 Timothy 2:2; Ephesians 4:11–16; Colossians 3:16).
- We endeavour, by the aid of the Holy Spirit to protect the testimony of Central Baptist Church by walking circumspectly in the world; denying ungodliness and worldly lusts and remembering that, as we have been voluntarily buried by baptism and raised again from the symbolic grave, so there is on us a special obligation now to lead a new and holy life, to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our behaviour, and to seek God’s help in abstaining from all things and practices that bring unwarranted harm to the body or jeopardise our own or another’s faith (Romans 6:1–4; Philippians 1:27; Philippians 2:12–16; 1 Peter 1:13–19; 1 Peter 2:9–12; Ephesians 5:3–6).
- We endeavour, by the aid of the Holy Spirit to commit to the relationships of Central Baptist Church by watching over one another in brotherly love, by loving confrontation, by admonishing one another, by giving and receiving loving correction, by remembering one another in prayer, by aiding one another in sickness and distress, by cultivating Christian sympathy in feeling and courtesy in speech, being slow to take offense,willing to build, maintain and restore relationships in the church, always ready for reconciliation and mindful of the rules of our Saviour to secure it without delay (Hebrews 10:24; James 4:1–2, 11; Galatians 6:1–2; Romans 15:14; 1 Thessalonians 5:14–15; Ephesians 4:29; Colossians 3:12–17; Philippians 1:1–4).
- We endeavour that when we move from this place, as soon as possible, to unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s word.
Finally, we acknowledge that we have received and read the Constitution/Bylaws and Relational Commitments of this church, and we hereby covenant and agree to support and submit to them.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all. Amen.